More power, better traction, less shifting. Wolf Tooth oval chainrings use our proprietary PowerTrac design that has all the benefits of oval, but without the funky, uneven pedal stroke. Ride one once and you'll wonder why you waited so long to try oval.
Think of an oval chainring as two chainrings in one. A major benefit of oval is how the shape of the chainring alters your gearing in two important phases of your pedal stroke by harnessing your body's natural biomechanics. Here's how it works. The area of the chainring with the larger diameter engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, which is what's known as the Power Zone. If you were to look at a clock, the Power Zone would be between 1-5 and 7-11. Conversely, the Recovery Zone – back to the clock face, between 11-1 and 5-7 – is the weakest part of the pedal stroke, when the oval maximizes your efficiency. A 34T oval chainring behaves like a 36T chainring when you want power, while behaving like a 32T chainring when you're climbing.
We've also engineered our oval chainrings to provide smoother, more efficient pedal rotation. This equates to better traction because of steadier torque on the rear wheel. With a Wolf Tooth oval chainring, you can harness more of your strength in the Power Zone, while having easier pedaling in the Recovery Zone.
- These rings are for use with 110 BCD 5 arm cranksets.
- Crank arm clocking arrow will be rotated 180 degrees from normal on cranksets that have 4 bolts visible and 1 hidden bolt behind the crank arm like for SRAM.
- Wolf Tooth's patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- Chainline - varies - these rings can be mounted in either the big or small ring position on a double cranksets. The most common mounting is in the big ring position because of chainstay clearance. The ring centerline is ~2mm from the ring's mounting face so they usually sit about 2mm closer to the frame than the stock big ring (depends on the stock ring)
- Can be mounted in either the big or small ring position of a double crankset given chainstay clearance in the small ring position.
- Stock 2x bolts will not work. You will need bolts like our 6mm bolts which are optimized for single ring mounting.
- Use Drop-Stop B for all SRAM Eagle, SRAM Road and Transmission (T-Type) Flattop chains, 9, 10, and 11spd chains or 12spd KMC, Connex, Wippermann, Campagnolo.
- Compatible 9, 10, 11, and 12s SRAM Eagle, 12s SRAM Transmission (T-type) Flattop, 12s Campy, 12s KMC
- Not compatible with 12s Shimano HG+ chains
- If you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper in addition to a clutch-type rear derailleur! Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck.
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
- Weight: 36t/58g | 38t/66g | 40t/74g | 42t/81g
- Material: 7075-T6 aluminum
- Made in the USA
|Black / 110 BCD 5-Bolt / 40T / Drop-Stop B||810006801316||OVAL-11040-FT|
|Black / 110 BCD 5-Bolt / 42T / Drop-Stop B||810006801323||OVAL-11042-FT|